Igor Konashenkov, a Ministry spokesperson, stated that the strikes were in retaliation to Ukraine’s attack on Makiivka in which at most 89 Russian soldiers were killed. Photo Credit: AP
On Sunday, the Russian military claimed that it had launched deadly missile strikes against barracks used in Ukraine by troops as a retaliation to the deaths of many Russian soldiers in a Rocket Attack last week. Officials from Ukraine denied that there were any casualties.
According to the Russian Defense Ministry, 600 people were killed when missiles struck two temporary bases that house 1,300 Ukrainian troops at Kramatorsk in eastern Donetsk. Igor Konashenkov, a Ministry spokesperson, stated that the strikes were in retaliation to Ukraine’s attack on Makiivka in which at least 90 Russian soldiers were killed.
Serhii Cherevatyi spoke for Ukraine’s east forces and told The Associated Press that Russian strikes in Kramatorsk only damaged civilian infrastructure. He added: “The armed forces were not affected.”
According to the Donetsk regional government, seven Russian missiles struck Kramatorsk and two more struck Konstantynivka. However, there were no casualties. According to the Donetsk regional administration, a school, an industrial facility, and garages were destroyed in Kramatorsk. A Kostyantynivka industrial zone was also damaged.
Oleksandr Honcharenko, Kramatorsk Mayor, stated that two schools and eight apartments houses had been damaged.
The Ukrainian forces launched rockets at Makiivka, another location in eastern Donetsk, where Russian soldiers were stationed. This attack on the Kremlin was one of the most devastating since the war started more than 10 months back.
On Sunday, 14 Russian soldiers were killed when the Ukrainian military claimed that they had attacked a Rubizhne residential hall belonging to a medical university. It said that the number of injured was not known.
In the east, Pavlo Kyrylenko, Donetsk Governor, said that one person was killed during strikes on Bakhmut and eight were injured.
The northeastern Kharkiv Region saw the attack on Merefa during the night. One person was killed and two other settlements were also shelled. Gov. Oleh Syniehubov stated.
These latest developments follow the end of a cease-fire that was partially observed by Russian forces and timed to coincide with Orthodox Christmas celebrations.